CiTUA’s mission is:
- to carry out high quality cross-disciplinary and collaborative research and knowledge development on urban territories that connects urban and architectural culture with the core engineering science disciplines investigated at IST;
- to collect and process rich and varied territorial, urban and architectural data to support knowledge generation and inform the debate and prospection of the future of urban territories and their built spaces, including documenting and inquiring theories and processes involved in (re)making urban territories;
- to understand the interactions between the built fabric of urban territories and their social, economic, cultural and environmental dynamics and the potentials and conditions that ensure urban cohesion and liveability, including policy making and good governance strategies to respond to, or recover from, contemporary challenges and threats;
- to disseminate the work carried out in publications, conferences, seminars and other type of outreach activities;
- to establish links between the research outputs and high quality educational programmes, promoting also collaborative dynamics with the industry and public authorities.